Imperfect Design

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

greeneye55582
Garter
Garter

Post by greeneye55582 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:58 pm

kotoreru wrote:Who said our pheremone system is defunct? I like to think that, when I walk into a club, I drag the opposite sex toward me with my aura of pheremones.

So the opposite sex has this uncontrollable urge to attack you? I'm thinking about the Axe commercials... :)

greeneye55582
Garter
Garter

Post by greeneye55582 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:02 pm

genovese wrote:But it does suggest to me that whatever drives "faith" must be in our genome for it to be so uncritical. Only DNA has the power to make us abandon logic.

I can think of several outside factors that influence me to abandon logic.

And I don't have "faith" so is my genome missing something? Hmm... ;)

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:02 am

Genovese, I respectfully say that your notion of DNA being the only thing capable of making us abandon all logic is, frankly, rubbish.

You've clearly never been on any narcotics.

Also: Alextemplet is now forever in my mind as a hooded seal. Check out those weird bastads.
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

david23
Coral
Coral

Re: Imperfect Design

Post by david23 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:13 am

greeneye55582 wrote:
genovese wrote:Intelligent design should produce perfect design, unless it has been produced by limited intelligence.

I haven't read the rest of the responses yet....I will in a sec.
But here's my initial response.
Why should intelligent design product perfect design?
And who gets to define the rules for what's perfect and what isn't?

I can agree with that, the word perfect never came up in the ID arguments. I suppose it hurts their argument more. The original ID argument is that humans are complex, and must have required a higher power ( more intelligent than the current humans) to have devised it, since the current science is in no way capable of such thing.

DNA/genes is capable of making people abandon logic, just ask some of the mental patients, but that doesnt mean I cant brainwash you through the media, school, as well as family to make you feel like you need have faith.

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:23 am

Well, it's easy enough to say DNA is responsible for pretty much anything biotic... since all life is based on DNA. But just keep in mind that by saying that, you're excluding any other causality (ie spirits, gods, non-dna-based aliens :D, etc)
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:40 am

kotoreru wrote:Also: Alextemplet is now forever in my mind as a hooded seal. Check out those weird bastads.

What'd I do now?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

genovese
Coral
Coral

Post by genovese » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 am

When I suggested that "only something in DNA could drive one to make an ilogical conclusions" I was of course meaning "In THE NORMAL MIND". Not the mind of an idiot, psychopath, drug taker, brainwashed etc. How else can a strong belief in something without proof or evidence of its existence be explained? Please outline some mechanism by which a normal intelligent, non diseased brain comes about to hold ideas which are not tenable.

genovese
Coral
Coral

Post by genovese » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:09 am

greeneye wondered why intelligent design needs to be perfect.

Non perfection is very probable with human intelligent design - I agree. But are you saying that THE Creator of the Universe has only the same limited intelligence as us mortals?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:08 pm

genovese wrote: How else can a strong belief in something without proof or evidence of its existence be explained? Please outline some mechanism by which a normal intelligent, non diseased brain comes about to hold ideas which are not tenable.

Ever been in love?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:24 pm

genovese wrote:When I suggested that "only something in DNA could drive one to make an ilogical conclusions" I was of course meaning "In THE NORMAL MIND". Not the mind of an idiot, psychopath, drug taker, brainwashed etc. How else can a strong belief in something without proof or evidence of its existence be explained? Please outline some mechanism by which a normal intelligent, non diseased brain comes about to hold ideas which are not tenable.

Simple. Misinformation.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Without the DNA code to construct a brain capable of concieving of such a thing as irrationality... none of this would be an issue. We think so much that we forget what it is that enables us to think in the first place.

What I'm curious about is this: If it is our genetic code that enables us to concieve of a concept such as god, are there other animals that have similar thoughts or are we the only ones?
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

genovese
Coral
Coral

Post by genovese » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:41 pm

mith gives "Love" as an example of loss of logical thinking. If you read the other ongoing topic ie Reconciling Faith with Evolution, you will see that I have suggested that having Faith is beneficial to the species and is probably impregnated into our genome. In order to hold such beliefs I have also suggested that DNA is somehow switching off logical thinking. The same applies to falling in love. This is beneficial for the species and it would not surprise me if DNA is switching off logical thinking, which might inhibit the process.