life and non-life...

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ragav.payne
Garter
Garter

Post by ragav.payne » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Okay, I think that I need to put forth the bio-philosohical version of my question.

Is consciousness/(point of view) an essential component of a living system?

May be all the living systems possess a point of view of its surroundings (We may never be able to emperically base our comments on its existence/nature/non-existence)

Anyway, where is the plant's brain? Does it have a centralized brain? Does its DNA store and process all the information that it needs to?

Anyway, why can't the presence of DNA (as information storing components) in a system make it a living being?

And why exactly is fire not a living thing? On what basis is it not qualified as a living thing? We all seem to instinctively reject the notion that fire isn't living? but what is the base for such rejection?

Cheers.

siroma
Garter
Garter

Post by siroma » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:32 pm

zx1108585
Garter
Garter

Post by zx1108585 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:20 am

i can't quite follow you

titanman
Garter
Garter

The distinction between life and nonlife?

Post by titanman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 am

According to Freeman Dyson, who is author of "origin of life", living things have two primary characteristics: metabolism and replication.
All nonliving things do not possess either of those characteristics.
Then we can define life. But the main problem now is the nature of metabolism and replication.

anfiosso
Garter
Garter

Post by anfiosso » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I think that a living being is an organism that has all biochemical e teleonomic structures necessary for surviving. Furthermore, regarding a foetus, for example, at early points of development it couldn't be considered "life" because it doesn't even reached the phylogenic stage characteristic of its species
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

anfiosso
Garter
Garter

Post by anfiosso » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:10 pm

errata corrige "hasen't even reached"
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream