centrioles and dna

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fabya
Garter
Garter

centrioles and dna

Post by fabya » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Are centrioles semiautonomous organelles? do they contain dna?

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:55 pm

So far as I know, they do not contain DNA.

Haven't heard "semiautonomous" applied to organelles before (there's lots of jargon I'm not familiar with), so can't help there without a definition.

bass_lasso9
Garter
Garter

Post by bass_lasso9 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:28 am

nope, it doesnt contain dna.. n what d u mean with semiautonomes? i think as far as i know its function hasn't been discovered yet.. beside as a mediator in cycle cell, but another function is none.. i havent heard the newest information bout that.. anybody heard, please tell me.. thx alot b4

lara
Coral
Coral

Post by lara » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:10 pm

centrioles r basically made of microtubules -proteins.for the time being any organelle which has
genetic material and carry out translation can b called semiautonomous.thatz y mito and chloroplasts r semiautonomous.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:30 am

Some older books use to give the wrong information that centrioles contain DNA. But as it has been said, they are made of proteins.
And about the replication. It is not known yet how exactly the centrioles duplicate. Models exist but none of them is proven to be the right one. But i tend to agree with lara. Mitochondria and chloroplasts could be called semiautonomous, centrioles no.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter