Cell division

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

abioman
Garter
Garter

Cell division

Post by abioman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have some problem with the cell division phase where I cant distinguish between mitosis and meiosis with its multiples phases !!
How to you do to distinguish between all of them?!

Thanks

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:44 pm

What parts of the two types are you particularly having trouble with? We could go over a bunch of stuff here and not address your own issues.

vikas srivastava
Garter
Garter

Post by vikas srivastava » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:34 am

simply, the basic molecular difference betweem mitosis and meiosis are the spliting of centromere in mitosis and separation of chromosome in meiosis.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm

This is a tricky subject. I come to think of it this way. Mitosis is simply the biological equivalent of a xerox machine. You simply get two exact copies of the original cell.
Now Meiosis is somewhat more complicated, but not really so much, once you understand the scheme of things. For Meiosis think of it as follows:
You have one peanut butter sandwich, that is to say, two slices of bread with peanut butter on each slice.
At the same time, there comes along a jelly sandwich. These two sandwiches decide to hookup and make a new sandwich. What happens is one slice of the peanut butter, and one slice of the jelly merge together to form a new sandwich. The PB&J. The PB&J was so good it decides to share, and now undergoes mitosis to duplicate itself.
Well I hope that made sense. It was the best analogy I could think of.