Research Projects

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

Research Projects

Post by biology_06er » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 am

Hi there,

At the uni. I'm at there is a chance to work in various research labs for the summer hols. and I would absolutely love the chance to be able to do so! However my marks are not not as great as i wish they were...I am in my 2nd yr and have always gotten marks within the B's (I even failed one paper last semester :oops: which was really guttering as thought I had at least passed)...anyway the thing is obviously heaps of people will be applying who would have got straight A+'s (cos even 3rd/4th yrs can apply) so obviously my chances of getting the chance to work in one are next to nothing...but question is that that no doubt the supervisors will look at student's marks but for those of you who have groups/supervisors would you guys ever accept a student who has marks such as mine :oops: ...I don't wanna even apply and make a fool of myself if I have no chance...(also the thing is since it's during the hols. it's paid work which really doesn't interest me, I would just like the chance to see what it's like being in an actual lab (sounds cliche I know) and use my holidays wisely)...

soo any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
biology_06er

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 am

you know that when you don't try, you are certain not getting the research place ;)

--> at the end someone with A+'s is not necessarily a better person for doing research then someone with B's. It's not only the grades they are looking at, also your motivation why you want to do research there and so on....

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:11 pm

You could always go for something apparently so boring (though I prefer the term 'original') that the competition will be minimal ;)
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:46 pm

Trust me, if you get an interview and you pull that off, no one will care about the marks.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

calvin.ng.wh
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by calvin.ng.wh » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 am

Marks may be imporatant, but only until a certain limit; the attitude is the one that's important...
Nurse Calvin

To be a giant in your profession, you must always be committed to growing.