epinephrine

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lara
Coral
Coral

epinephrine

Post by lara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:41 am

wat r the actions of epinephrine on the glycolysis pathway????it seems epinephrine slows down the pathway but how can it be the fight n flight response??????

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm

You mean glycogenolysis, right? I don't think epinephrine has a direct effect on glycolysis other than to stimulate the production of glucose from glycogen.

Beta adrenergic stimulation activates adenyl cyclase which increases the levels of cAMP, which activates cAMP-dependent kinase, that phosphorylates (activates) phosphorylase kinase, which in turn phosphorylates (activates) glycogen phosphorylase, which degrades glycogen, releasing Glu1P. I guess it's part of the "flight or fight" response because it would supply glucose from stored depots.

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:10 am

thus glucose-6-phosphate will get high in the cell inhibiting hexo/glucokinase and activating the glycolysis pathway --> thus less glucose is imported into the cell. In this way it seems that epinephrine inhibits the fight-flight response.

However, during exercise epinephrine stimulates glucose import as glycolysis runs fast, while an exercise-induced GLUT-4 transporter increases glucose uptake.

lara
Coral
Coral

Post by lara » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 pm

i meant glycolysis.epinephrine blocks glycolysis so that glucose isdistributed throughout andit becomes available to all the cells in the body .got the answer.thank u.....