Difference b/n cdc5 and cdk5

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

clone
Garter
Garter

Difference b/n cdc5 and cdk5

Post by clone » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I would like to know the difference b/n cdc5 and cdk5. I would like to perform some invitro kinase assays. I m wondering about the commercial availability of these enzymes. Thanks

sdekivit
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by sdekivit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 am

the activity of cdkis dependent on the phosphorylation status regulated by kinases and phosphatases.

--> cdk is the group of kinases that stimulates the cell cycle when activated.

--> they are activated by phosphatases like cdc5.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Unless there is a duplication of names--which is entirely possible--both CDC5 and CDK5 are kinases. The CDC names derive from Leland Hartwell's studies on the genetics of the yeast cell cycle and is short for cell-division cycle. CDC5 is an S. pombe gene; there are CDK5-like proteins in humans, cows, mice and rats, maybe others. They are related to polo-like kinases. CDK, on the other hand, is short for cyclin-dependent kinase. CDK5 is one of many kinases regulated via complex formation with cyclin (as well as by phosphorylation/dephosphorylation). Both classes of kinases are being actively pursued as targets for drug development by pharmaceutical companies.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Sorry--meant to say that there are CDC5-like proteins in..., well, there are CDK5 homologues, too, but there are proteins specifically tagged with the name, CDC5-Like (or so the Expasy proteomics database tells me).