YEAST

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mehdi71000
Coral
Coral

YEAST

Post by mehdi71000 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:19 pm

i heard some ware yeast has dna similarities to humans. Is thins true? It sound mind boggling , I don’t trust the source though. And is there a house hold bacteria that is very fast spreading. that colonizes liquids not only the surface. I thing algae is one but its very slow. Thanks guys

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: YEAST

Post by canalon » Thu May 31, 2007 9:33 pm

mehdi71000 wrote:i heard some ware yeast has dna similarities to humans. Is thins true? It sound mind boggling , I don’t trust the source though. And is there a house hold bacteria that is very fast spreading. that colonizes liquids not only the surface. I thing algae is one but its very slow. Thanks guys

1- Yes it is true. To some extent all living organisms have some genetic similiraty, this is one of the best argument for a common and unique origin for life on earth. And yeasts and humans are both eucaryotes, so their cells share a common basic structure, and a far from negligible similarity in their genetic make up. If you go on the genome section of pubmed you will find much more details.

2- Yes. A lot. I grow E. coli in liquid all the times (actually instead of typing I should be inoculating my cultures), but most bacteria will do very well in liquid medium. A good example: put an open carton of milk away from the cat but at room temperature and open, and you will have a nice collection of bacteria grown in liquid :)

3- And algae are eucaryotes, they ARE NOT bacteria!!!! They have organites.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

mehdi71000
Coral
Coral

Post by mehdi71000 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:57 pm

cheers mate you rellly helped.