Selective Breeding

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mgncrrn
Garter
Garter

Selective Breeding

Post by mgncrrn » Tue May 22, 2007 10:07 pm

I have to do a debate on the pros and cons of selective breeding. I have the con side. I've looked around and haven't found much to help me win the debate. Does anyone know any good rebuttle type stuff against the people on the pro side? I need this to be good, my grade depends on it!!!! :shock:

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed May 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Think about what selective breeding has done to certain domestic breeds - you don't get just the traits you want, the type in inbreeding that's often done has other effects. Like various ailments that certain dog breeds have, or what happens to a dairy cow if it isn't milked. Is it ethical to create congenital problems just to get a feature you want?

mgncrrn
Garter
Garter

Thanks

Post by mgncrrn » Sat May 26, 2007 1:22 am

To the person who sent me that reply, thank you sooooo much. I thought about it, and I said that during the debate. I know thats like wrong to use someone elses words, but i couldnt think of another way to get that point across. i hope you don't mind.... but we won! I really think that that helped us win. I couldn't have done it wihtout your help, so thanks again!!! :D