Height

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fireblaze
Death Adder
Death Adder

Height

Post by fireblaze » Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi,

i'm 19 and 170cm (5' 7.5 inches). i weightlift and swim alot (since two months). I consume 750 ml of milk a day, and 50 g of protein a day approx.

I want to grow taller. A website says that stretching can increase height by maximum of 3 inches. is that possible? im quite sceptical.

they say that the spinal length increases.

here check it out : http://www.betaller.com/index.htm

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 am

hmmm i would say there are not that many studies available to prove those exercises. Although there are differences between males and females involving height and age.

fireblaze
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fireblaze » Mon May 28, 2007 10:41 pm

High HGH levels results in high insulin levels. How does high insulin levels shorten life? is it coz of diabetes or something else?

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:04 am

high insulin levels should reduce diabetes. where are you getting these things from.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue May 29, 2007 8:00 am

you may be able to increase your hight a little(although i am skeptical about that) but eating more protein will note make you taller. It is an urban mith that eating more protein will help you gain muscle mass.
Your hight is caused by the quantity of hormones(mainly STH) in your blood, secreted by various glands. However, this is a fragile equilibrium and should not be messed with.
Generally, you are as tall as your genes say you should be, and there's not much you can do.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

fireblaze
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fireblaze » Tue May 29, 2007 12:32 pm

what about stertching?
running/jumping using ankle weights to create microfractures in shin bones?
swimming?

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Wed May 30, 2007 12:21 am

Hmm yes, I've heard an awful lot of Europeans saying that they took up weight lifting in an attempt to keep their height down (because, da, tall people get tall problems!)...I doubt there is any truth in it.

Good nutrition during the growing phase of your life, gender, and heredity are probably the most likely determinants of ultimate height.
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

fireblaze
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fireblaze » Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 am

How would a good intake of lysine,arginine,ornithine and glutamine damange the body and shorten life?

These amino acids are taken, in order to boost hgh levels. so that people of short stature grow?

I'm 19 2months. from the sub-continent (Pakistan) and i am 5 feet 7

i really want to grow 3 more inches

fireblaze
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by fireblaze » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:39 pm

could any of yo's give me an answere

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Height

Post by biohazard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 pm

As far as I know, there is very little one can do in order to become taller than what their genes allow. One can end up shorter if they are malnourished or have a hormonal defect, or maybe if they've done some extremely intensive training during their teenage (maybe combined with too small energy intake).

Growing taller, however, doesn't happen by training, normal stretching (some form of forced stretching probably just causes back problems instead) or anything else that I'm aware of. For young persons hormonal treatment is an option, but at the age of 19 that is not of any use, especially for people of normal height like you. Some clinics perform surgeries, where they basically cut off one's shin bones, stretch them apart a bit and then use some sort of prosthesis or support to allow bone to fill that gap. It's a laborous and expensive process, and not even very successful.

What comes to causing microfractures to your shin bones by some training and then growing - I have never even heard of this, and cannot imagine how it would work. Normal training doesn't fracture bones, as far as I know any kind of fracture in ones bone is an unwanted situation that can lead to troublesome consequences. And even if there were no harmful effects, it doesn't make the bones taller, because the bones grow around specific areas during childhood and teenage, and after that these areas become "solid bone" and do not grow any length.

Excessive intake of proteins doesn't make one taller, but can make one fatter. If combined to proper training it can help one to become muscular, but that should be possible with normal diet as well as long as enough energy and nutrients are available. Proteins don't shorten one's life span either, unless they get a kidney failure from insane amounts of protein, or become obese because of them.

So the bottom line is, as far as I can tell, that you really cannot increase your height at your age any more, save from some very tedious/expensive procedures. And since you are still well within the normal height frame for any adult, I wouldn't suggest you try any of these. Maybe careful selection of clothing and shoes and a good posture can give you that extra height you are looking for!

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:48 pm

I have heard of procedure involving breaking the bones of the legs and then stretching the legs during the curing process so that they would grow longer. The (non scientific)paper describing the procedure said it was efficient but slow and extremely painful. And it was used for someone who was definitely short to the point of handicap.I cannot imagine someone in his right mind going through this with an already quite normal size.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:40 am

Tests of HGH on children with no deficit (but who were short) showed no effect on height.