Enzymes Question

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

fox914
Garter
Garter

Enzymes Question

Post by fox914 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:36 pm

What two things can cause enzymes to malfunction?

I couldn't find the answer in my texbook.

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Tue May 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Maybe pH, temperature etc

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Wed May 16, 2007 12:18 am

Incorrect folding of the protein structure, inappropriate di-sulphur bridges, having half missing...
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri May 18, 2007 4:44 am

There're many factors that can cause enzyme malfunction. These factors can start to happen even in the earliest stage of enzyme production which is transcription, which we call it along with the translation as a pre-translational phase. After that, the fault can be happer also in the post-translational modification such as folding and disulfide bond establishment. Both the pre and the post translational thng is called as intrinsic factors.
While extrinsic factors could be temperature, pH, activator, and inhibitor...:D
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

soso
Garter
Garter

Post by soso » Mon May 28, 2007 2:41 pm

search about enzyme denaturation you will understand..

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue May 29, 2007 7:50 am

Also inhibitors...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

kanak33
Garter
Garter

Post by kanak33 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Yes, all are right.
Heat, pH, inhibitors can cause malfunctions.
But the temperature denatures the enzymes and its irreversible (right I hope :) )

Nope heat inactivation is not always irreversible. In many case simple proteins simply renature when the temperature goes down.
Kanak
=>Is looking for some people to talk with to learn the biological english vocabulary in view of doing an internship in the US
Email or IM me!
Thank you!

Final_King
Garter
Garter

Post by Final_King » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:40 pm

heat and ph do causes malfunctions or really it s not but it is denature if denaturing counts. but only after certain tempertures when they get too high at least the ones my classs did " they tend to denature the enzyme or i guessmake them malfuntion didnt get to see what was going on wiht enzymes so thats up for grabs if someone can explain that.", anyway they the ph and temps just increases the enzyme activity.
Though i am afraid, i will face it head on without fail. + Family is is priceless, something jewels wil never be. + One day i will awaken and revert to my true nature.
-Final_King

Duke
Garter
Garter

Re: Enzymes Question

Post by Duke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:11 am

fox914 wrote:What two things can cause enzymes to malfunction?

I couldn't find the answer in my texbook.

If malfunction means not the function which it should have and not loss of function, then I have 2 examples for you:

Solvent can inlfuence the substrate specificity of some enzymes (Restriction enzymes sometimes show star activity when used with inappropriate buffers)

Co-factors like Mg or Mn can also determine the action of enzymes (e.g. DNaseI cleaves DNA in the presents of Mg in a random manner (each strand independently) but in the presents of Mn it generates blunt ends)