exercise lab

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

exercise lab

Post by biology_06er » Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 am

Hi there..

I've got lab report due in soon and i have obtained my values but am unsure about something...we had to use a bike and pedal at various levels...then measure our O2 consumption and Co2 production. so say for example for level 2 the heart rate was 105BPM and the C02 production was 2.2% and O2 consumption was 19.0% (these values were obtainted using a douglas bag and analysing it at a computer) and then the gas volume of expired air which was 21.3L...and breaths per minute was 21
and then we had to measure respiratory freq. how do i calculate that---i thought it was how many breaths were taken in a minute? but then my lab parter came up with a diff value like 1.2 and i'm not sure how she did it? as well as tidal volume which is the volume of a normal breath at rest right?....minute volume is breaths per minute*tidal volume right?....so my question is can someone pls tell me how to calculate

--respiratory freq.
--tidal volume
--oxygen uptake (fraction of oxygen in air and fraction of oxygen in expired air)
--CO2 output (fraction of CO2 in expired air)...

thank you heaps!!
biology_06er