Heart and emotions

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ragav.payne
Garter
Garter

Heart and emotions

Post by ragav.payne » Thu May 10, 2007 4:43 am

Hello,

I'm a lay person( belonging to a scientific community other than biology).
I was just wondering about another funny thing human conventions gave birth to. Of course it seems irrational, but so many independent communities have adopted this convention. That made me rethink.
So coming to the point:-

"Why is the heart considered the emotional center of the human body? Is there any tangible factor that led to the relation of these seemingly unconnected entities(i.e the heart and emotions)?"

e.g- "With all his heart, he gifted her the boquet".

I agree that this can be ignored as an anomaly if the west was the only community that uses heart as the center of emotions but tribes in Africa, Asia and some other well developed societies have this convention in their language. Why?

--
rAgAv

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Thu May 10, 2007 3:13 pm

It may be that a person can be aware of their heartbeat altering during times of strong emotion.

Tae Jun, Yoon
Garter
Garter

I think Darby is right.

Post by Tae Jun, Yoon » Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I agree with Darby. When you fall in love or are afraid, Sympathetic nerve or hormones like Adrenaline stimulate your heart. Then, your heart beats like a train. On the other hand, you feel sad or feel relaxed, your heart beats slowly and you will feel comfortable.

Ancient people wouldn't know about this and they would only think that heart controlled their emotion.

i_r_e_d
Coral
Coral

Post by i_r_e_d » Thu May 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Didn't the Egyptians value the heart as sacred but discard the brain as useless...

-Danny

ragav.payne
Garter
Garter

Re: I think Darby is right.

Post by ragav.payne » Fri May 11, 2007 4:16 am

Tae Jun, Yoon wrote:Ancient people wouldn't know about this and they would only think that heart controlled their emotion.

Yup! ancient people sure were really weird..........just like we sometimes are.

But do you really think that most communities knew well about the human anatomy to include terms for organs in their language? Did they have autopsy techniques during those times?

sCrooge
Garter
Garter

Post by sCrooge » Fri May 11, 2007 4:17 am

isn't the brain though that stimulates the quickening of the heartrate?