trees that don't flower?

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mattw
Garter
Garter

trees that don't flower?

Post by mattw » Wed May 09, 2007 2:56 pm

My apple trees never flower. Will they eventually? Are there trees grown from seed that never flower their whole lives?

Thanks,
Matt W

Marazul
Garter
Garter

Post by Marazul » Thu May 31, 2007 9:32 pm

Yes, your tree will eventually flower, but it will take a few years (maybe a lot of years). Trees grown from seeds delay much in flowering, that's why the grafts are made. Grafting is a very common practice in agriculture, specially with fruit trees.

Sorry about my english, is not very good, I hope you understood.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:14 pm

and to answer your question: yes there are trees that do not produce flowers - that reproduce entirely by asexual reproduction
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

cotinga
Garter
Garter

Post by cotinga » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:55 pm

MrMistery wrote:and to answer your question: yes there are trees that do not produce flowers - that reproduce entirely by asexual reproduction

But that a specific case, right? The normal condition for angiosperms (actually their defining character) is reproducion by flowers...

Linn
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Linn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Apple trees can be difficult. In addition to age, Factors involved are the number of trees you have (the more the merrier),
a full sun location,winter pruning, bud protection, fertilization, and most important: pollination.
Then if you are able to coax a few apples you need to protect them from insects and squirrls etc.
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these".

~ George washington Carver