[RE] thermodynamics VS evolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Tae Jun, Yoon
Garter
Garter

[RE] thermodynamics VS evolution

Post by Tae Jun, Yoon » Wed May 09, 2007 5:01 am

I read Noumenalist's post recently. It was interesting that relating thermodynamics with evolution. So I ponder about it and conlcuded that though the evolution seems to go against the second law of thermodynamics - the entropy(S) is always increasing - , it really doesn't oppose it. :?
Well, I thought the cell, body of an animal, plant or any kind of life is the System in system. The inner system(the life itself) will react with outer system and organize the structure of the life. But at the same time it wll give off many byproducts - excretion, carbon dioxide and so on - and heat to the outer system. the entropy of the total system will increase and this is not against the second law of thermodynamics.
Outer system will be the environments that surround the life. Well you can think that this term and this way of thinking - making outer system and inner system - is just a wordplay. Some people will think the outer system is just a surroundings. But, I think it is more convenient to regard the surroundings as the outer system and thermodynamic universe as the total system.

what do you think about it?

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:59 am

thats why i said the water surrounding the peptide formation becomes more entropic when all the monopeptides polymerize, which results in the overall reaction to have an increase in entropy. I didnt talk about the gibbs free energy, but maybe I should for other reactions.

or even simpler answer, energy from the sun is resulted from matter being destroyed in thermonuclear reaction and converted into energy and come to to earth to fuel all living reactions on earth starting with plants. The thermonuclear reaction of that much matter changing into energy is like the ultimate super increase in entropy. Nothing on earth can, no matter how much entropy decreases anywhere in any particular reaction is even comparable to whats going on in the sun.