Yeast enzymes

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Bio_Tom
Garter
Garter

Yeast enzymes

Post by Bio_Tom » Mon May 07, 2007 10:41 am

Does anyone know the name of the enzyme which methylene blue shows the activity of? :!:

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:35 pm

Depends on what you mean, exactly. Methylene blue is a redox-active dye and can react with a number of compounds involved in metabolism, most notably I supppose, are NADH and oxygen. If you are talking strict anearobic glycolysis, the glycolytic enzyme glyceraldehyde-3-phospate dehygrogenase produces the NADH generated by glycolysis, and NADH can reduce methylene blue. But I warn you, you can say that there is “one enzyme” only if you are talking about strict anaerobic glycolysis.

If, however, there is any oxidative metabolism going on, almost all the metabolites are being ported into the TCA cycle, for which there are several enzymes producing NADH; and from there the reducing equivalents are largely being routed into the electron transport pathway, generating all those wonderful proton gradients that drive ATP synthase and eventually reducing oxygen. The point is, that in oxidative metabolism there are many reactants or products that could react with methylene blue and you can’t list one that is “the” enzme activity being monitored—unless you want to get futzy and talk about metabolic flux and control points, I guess, but do you really want to go there for this kind of experiment?

wannabeaditz
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by wannabeaditz » Mon May 07, 2007 7:49 pm

if your talking about the yeast experiment meth blue 'highlights' the yeast when it is respiring the enzyme in yeast being catalase
Elisah xx

heartbroken is not a phase - it is my life

Bio_Tom
Garter
Garter

Post by Bio_Tom » Wed May 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks for all your help :D :lol: 8) :mrgreen: