CHERRY TREE Problem

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

CHERRY TREE Problem

Post by Dustfinger » Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 am

Hi, I planted two little cherry trees three years ago, and this year, to my pleasure, three cherries are developing.
However, my joy was short-lived as two of these suddenly had a hole in them. Two days later, these cherries are now neatly hollowed out.......

Which animal or disease is responsible for this ?
How can I protect the last cherry ?

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Mon May 07, 2007 9:54 am

Sorry I cant give a more specific answer, but it seems that you only had 3 cherries - you will need far more (and hence an older tree) to sprout(?) enough to compensate for bugs.

Or you could use pesticide.
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:54 am

could be worms, or some other creature. A hollow hole cannot be a diseases, infections do not leave the rest of the cherry unharmed. A picture helps.

try yahoo answers
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 116AAuyx87

Dustfinger
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dustfinger » Tue May 08, 2007 9:19 am

Thanks for your answers. As I said, the trees are very young and I thus only three cherries were developing. So using insecticides etc. would not really be woth it.

How about a tiny net around the cherry ? Perhaps the bug cannot come through then.

ivygirl_5
Garter
Garter

Post by ivygirl_5 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Unfortunatly there is not much that you can do to save your last cherry this year. I suggest that if it's ripe you eat it yourself. :D

But if your determined:
If your trees stand alone, your pests may be climbing up the trunk to feast on your cherries. You can try sticky tape (like they use in mouse traps) around the base, or spray them with water daily. If your pests are flying onto your trees or droping in from nearby trees. Then there's not much you can do.
The net may work on flying critters, as long as the gage is small enough to keep out the smallest pest, but be carefull not to knock your cherry off in the process.

If it makes you feel better. Trees have always had to deal with pests. As your Cherry trees get older they will produce more cherries, higher off the ground. This will help to compensate for the lost do to creepy crawlers (a natural and unavoidable thing).