DNA/Protein sequences

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

DNA/Protein sequences

Post by biology_06er » Wed May 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi there...

The other day we used this computer programme to find the species from a given protein sequence of a randomly assigned species...and we got asked what would happen if we had used DNA sequences instead of protein sequences?...I'm not really sure but does it have to do with the fact if we used DNA sequences we would have way to many gene sequences to work out what species it was wheras this certain protein arose from a specific bacteria....hence we could never find out what species it actually is (as there are thousands of possibilities) :?

cheers
biology_06er

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 am

this is bioinformatics stuff, did the program do a simple alignment search? The DNA sequence is of course of the protein right? Not the genomic sequence? Is the DNA cDNA or dos it contain introns, but all in all, it should give u the same info. I think the NCBI blastn thing works pretty well for these things. There shouldnt too much of a difference, but sometimes there are.

This is just some general stuff, I need specific details to help u

biology_06er
Coral
Coral

Post by biology_06er » Sun May 06, 2007 5:55 am

hmmm yeah I was gonna write that it wouldn't make a diff. if it was DNA/protein cos the DNA sequence defines what the protein will be-yet I thought if they asked this question there might actually be a reason...anyway I have handed it in--so will just have to wait and see what the ans. really was!...thanks for replying though...

biology_06er

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:06 am

hmmm here is some extra info that might come in handy. DNA sequence, the exons can be spliced differently, so the end protein sequence may be different. So this could be a discrepancy in the comparing the two.