mRNA editing and Epigenetics

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

LilKim
Coral
Coral

mRNA editing and Epigenetics

Post by LilKim » Wed May 02, 2007 3:51 am

Hi guys!

The field of epigenetics is kinda large and the boudaries of epigenetic mechanism versus genetic mechanism ... sometimes seem blurred in my mind.

But I have a seemingly simple questions. Is ADAR dependant mRNA editing an epigenetic phenomenon?

I think it is... epigenetic, but was wondering if anyone agrees... or could rationally argue that it is not epigenetic!

Thanks a million!
- KIM

weesper
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by weesper » Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Yes it is epigenetic since it changes phenotypic traits without changing a genetic trait ie it leaves the actual DNA message intact, and as such is epigenetic. Very simple actually.

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:35 am

i think understanding the whole complex biochemical pathways that lead to the different phenotypes is the hard part. With all the pathways out there, only the really really important ones or the simple ones get published into textbooks. The other ones just end up in journals, waiting to be used.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Thu May 10, 2007 1:00 am

Thanks guys! I wrote a paper about a paper dealing with adar dependant miRNA editing... that showed that it happens, and can therefore target another set of mRNA or abolish miRNA targeting ability

Anways... i was having some second thoughts after I wrote 5 pages on the topic.

But, I got an A on the paper... so, I guess it was epigenetic.