chemical process of photoynthesis

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mrskmac
Garter
Garter

chemical process of photoynthesis

Post by mrskmac » Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 pm

What can you tell about the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels millions of years ago? How would these levels compare to today? Explain.
Please Help :!: :!: :!:

destiny
Coral
Coral

Post by destiny » Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 am

The level of carbon dioxide millions of years ago should be lower as compared to today. This is due to the increase of global warming which release carbon dioxide and other gases into the air, hence, the level of carbon dioxide in today's world has increased.

That's all I know. :)

=I'm just a kid=

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu May 03, 2007 4:40 am

I just read a book about a research of measuring CO2 level in Mauna Loa, Hawaii from 1958 - today. The result showed that CO2 level is increasing in LINEAR way along with the year OMG! :shock: I cannot imagine what will happen in the future :(

Geordie Boy
Garter
Garter

Post by Geordie Boy » Wed May 09, 2007 1:49 pm

You would have to be more specific. If we are going back to the time of the dinosaurs, then CO2 would have been much less abundant than it is today.

Go back a few hundered million years further and the planet is a mass of volcanic activity and CO2 would have been much higher. Oxygen did not become a significant component of our atmosphere until plants colonised the land between 4 and 5 hundred million years ago.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed May 09, 2007 6:41 pm

Plants didn't need to be on land to affect atmospheric oxygen - long before land colonization, there is evidence in the fossil record of a great rise in oxygen in the oceans, and since water doesn't hold oxygen very well, the atmosphere would have taken much of it.

There are some other indirect measures of atmospheric proportions from the distant past, but they are controversial.

Geordie Boy
Garter
Garter

Post by Geordie Boy » Wed May 09, 2007 7:04 pm

Interesting. How does the fossil record record oceanic oxygen levels?

Anyhoo i doubt the question required him to go back further than land colonisation. :)

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Wed May 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Indirectly, I suppose the size of things in the oceans was limited by the 02 levels :S
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.