were to buy glowing bacterias

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mehdi71000
Coral
Coral

were to buy glowing bacterias

Post by mehdi71000 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi guys
This is my 3rd post
Perhaps i should have asked this at the beginning. does any one know were to purchase glowing bacteria from the internet .witch the price is not over the roof or one of those kits that are for junior genetic engineers . witch they use a fire fly gene in an ecoli bacteria. i found one in Google but they cant ship to uk since there’s is hazards chemicals present.
Tanks guys you’ve been great

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Mon May 07, 2007 10:12 am

cant u do a little heat shock and electroporation experiment on some cheap bacteria competent cells using a ligated plasmid containing some GFP? Are competent cells expensive where you are? I know GFP (the glowing protein) is pretty cheap here. Making your own glowing bacteria is a lot better because you can grow a lot. There is no guarantee the ones you buy will live that long.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Mon May 07, 2007 11:19 am

david23 wrote:cant u do a little heat shock and electroporation experiment on some cheap bacteria competent cells using a ligated plasmid containing some GFP? Are competent cells expensive where you are? I know GFP (the glowing protein) is pretty cheap here. Making your own glowing bacteria is a lot better because you can grow a lot. There is no guarantee the ones you buy will live that long.

I think Mehdi is looking for bacteria containing a luciferase gene (luciferase is from firefly) ... however, the only "glowing" bacteria I know or are of the GFP genre.

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:31 am

I am starting to think maybe we should make our own and sell it to mehdi. Hey mehdi are you willing to buy some from me? I'll add some yellow and cyan FP as well. It's totally not toxic, unless you ingest the eColi.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Mon May 07, 2007 7:09 pm

I Just cloned an RFP vector .. a few weeks ago (for yeast) but yeah... i could make some red fluorescent bacteria.. LOL

Let me know?

mehdi71000
Coral
Coral

Post by mehdi71000 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks guys give me you price and I’ll buy some of you. Can you make the bacteria super bright? Like adding to the gene to repeat the GFP more. I really prefer to do it myself. I wanted to buy some equipment of the internet to perform the perseder my self but I haven’t got a clue were to start. I looked for glowing bacteria and its about £ 280 from a uk supplier. I heard some ware if you keep freshly caught salt water fish and leve it in a 5 c temperature environment after its dead for a week the fish will start to glow. Because glowing bacteria is very common in the sea but no time to fish. Any ways thanks guys give me a price and I’ll get back to you
thanks for your replies