Genetics Question

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sweetspottina
Garter
Garter

Genetics Question

Post by sweetspottina » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:04 pm

If DNA testing was being done on samples obtained from the bones from two parents who were siblings, a saved blood sample from their long-dead daughter, and a sample obtained from a recently deceased man, for the purpose of establishing a familial link between the recently deceased man (Who is, in fact, the brother of the long dead daughter) and the three others, would the testers be able to tell that the parents were siblings that had had incestual relations, as well as the parents of the other two? I'm a mystery writer, looking for a little help! Thanks to any who take the time to help :D

Knighty
Garter
Garter

Post by Knighty » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:32 pm

WOW........ Sounds really intricate....
Changing from ,to, is the history of each one of us....

(Hannibal)

kotoreru
Coral
Coral

Post by kotoreru » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Hmm. Well siblings are, theoretically, 50% related. Therefore any children had by them would be 25% related to their siblings and 50% to each parent.

The children would show lower heterozygosity than normal if their parents were related. I suppose if you could show the two dead people were siblings and had higher than normal homozygosity, then yes you could figure out that their parents were siblings.

I think that's right...(and hope it helps).
"What are humans if they don't learn at University? Animals, yes."

^^One of my ex-girlfriends said that. I stress the ex part.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:16 am

It's called a paternity/maternity test. Do that to establish the kid's relationship. Then do the parents separately to determine their relationship.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr