A2 biology coursework

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kayz_6
Garter
Garter

A2 biology coursework

Post by kayz_6 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:01 pm

i dont know if anyone on here will be able to help me but i have carried an investigation for my coursework on the effects of humidity on the movement of woodlice. i have used a choice chamber, one section was damp and one section was dry. from my previous knowledge the woodlice should have moved towards the damp area but not all woodlice in all repeats did. can anyone give me and biological reason why they may have stayed in the dry area?
any help would be greatly recieved. :D

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Do you have any biological reason for them to all move within the time limit you had given them? Do they all have knowledge of the existence of a damp and a dry chamber?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

kayz_6
Garter
Garter

Post by kayz_6 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:11 pm

they should all have moved towards the damp region because they breath through gills and need to keep them moist in order to allow the diffusion of gasses through them.

kayz_6
Garter
Garter

Post by kayz_6 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:31 pm

anyone got any ideas?

CoffeaRobusta
Garter
Garter

Post by CoffeaRobusta » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:37 pm

Mith gave you some good ideas. Not enough time elasped for all to move to the humid area, or differences in the ability to detect and navigate towards the humid area.

Another idea would be that the "dry" area had just enough humidity for some woodlice to be able to breathe. Maybe some woodlice are able to tolerate dry conditions for some time. Remember, individual variation is the name of the game for biology. I bet most of your woodlice moved to the humid chamber, no? If the number of woodlice in both chambers is not significantly different from what one would expect from random chance, the either humidity has no influence on the movement of woodlice or your experimental design was not sufficient to dectect a difference (i.e. the chambers did not differ enough in humidity).
Scientists are a friendly, atheistic, hard-working, beer-drinking lot whose minds are preoccupied with sex, chess and baseball when they are not preoccupied with science.
-Yann Martel, Life of Pi

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:03 am

CoffeaRobusta wrote:...or differences in the ability to detect and navigate towards the humid area.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink :).
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

kayz_6
Garter
Garter

Post by kayz_6 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 pm

thanks for your help ppl :)