Gene Cloning, Genetic Modification....Help Thank You Please

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

wiggleandawalk
Garter
Garter

Gene Cloning, Genetic Modification....Help Thank You Please

Post by wiggleandawalk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:20 am

Hiya, im just wrapping up my assignment on Gene Cloning, Genetic Modification and woould just like help with the following q's???

1.Name a substance which is produced by gene cloning?
2.why should the same andonucleases be used to cur the plasmid vector as the one used to cut the original donor?
3.explain how a gene which produces antibiotic resistance is used as a genetic marker?
4.choose and write about 2 possible problems associated with genetic modification?
6.Describe in outline how two major genetic screening processes are carried out?

Any help would be greeeeat :D

Revenged
Coral
Coral

Post by Revenged » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:49 am

genetic screening is quite interesting...

look into amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling...

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 pm

1. There are a number of products that are being made commercially by recombinant gene expression. Go to the Genentech website and sift through their list of products and you'll find at least one. Or go to New England Biolabls and browse their product catalog and you'll find several such products there as well.

2. It's endonuclease, and it's not a strictly true statement, but the choices have to be made carefully, so in general it is true you that you want to use the same restriction endonuclease(s) to digest both vector and insert DNAs. Consider using EcoRI-digested vector and BamHI digested insert. Think it would work? Hint: check out the recognition sequences and type of overhang. You can get that information from any of the usual suppliers (New England Biolabs, Promega, Roche Diagnostics, to name three).

3. Consider that the vector/insert combination you want to have after transfection carries with it a gene for antibiotic resistence as well as the gene of interest and ask yourself, "How do I select for the product I want?"

You should be able to look up the required information for the last two on your own.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm

I was assuming that the question in q1 was to identify a specific, commercial product. If you mean, in general, what is the "substance" produced by any recombinant gene expression--well, what is the "substance" produced by normal, non-recombinant gene expression? (ignoring things like tRNA or rRNA).