Pollination

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Bronxboy814
Garter
Garter

Pollination

Post by Bronxboy814 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Ok I'm sorry if this isn't relavent to the topic but I've been wondering. Which is more random wind-pollination or animal-pollination. I'm guessing wind-pollination because the wind doesn't have a mind of its own to control itself. So what are your thoughts?

ivygirl_5
Garter
Garter

Post by ivygirl_5 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 am

That's a very interesting question. I could talk about this all day. Personally I don't really think it's a matter of randomness. Both types of plants have adapted to take full advantage of their method of pollination.

While not as accurate as animal-pollination, wind-pollinating plants more then makes up for itself in sheer volume of pollen they produce. They save on having to produce scent or nectar, and there pollen is much lighter, smoother and smaller so they can produce more of it.
The animal pollinators have co-evolved with animals in really cool ways. There are plants that smell like rotting meat (to attract flys), some that have brightly colored leaves to attract pollinators to there small flowers, and many produce a certain color flower to attract a certain type of pollinator (white-bats, red-birds, butterflies- red, orange, bees yellow and blue).

How's that. :)

Bronxboy814
Garter
Garter

Post by Bronxboy814 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 am

Wow i never thought of it like that at all.....thanks