genetic change in evolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

pezzang2000
Garter
Garter

genetic change in evolution

Post by pezzang2000 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:32 pm

How is it right or wrong to comment/include genetic change in defining variational evolution? I would say it can be disadvantageous to comment genetic change in definition of variational evolution because variational evolution has to do with mix of gene pool -> different phenotypes but not necessarily change in allele frequency..?? On the other hand, it can be advantageous because genetic variation might actually occur during variational evolution and that's how change in one generation of organism is passed on to the next generation....

Can someone Point out the advantages and disadvantages of including any comment about genetic change in the definition of variational evolution? And also in regards to changes by physiological adaptation?

Any help in clearing my mind in this issue is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:23 am

It's difficult to discuss variation without the cause of the variation: variation on the genetic level.

pezzang2000
Garter
Garter

Post by pezzang2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:00 am

Darby wrote:It's difficult to discuss variation without the cause of the variation: variation on the genetic level.

Darby, thanks for your comment. Out of curiosity, what aspects of variational evolution make it hard to speculate about the cause of variation on the genetic level?

Also, how could be address the question I brought up in my first post in a more specific terms and in that case how would my questions be answered?