Please explain to me - CMVp

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ammie
Garter
Garter

Please explain to me - CMVp

Post by Ammie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:30 am

why is it good to have a cytomegalovirus promoter in the cloning plasmid? I do not understand that, please explain to me?

Jelanen
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Jelanen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:22 am

So you can have an inducible promoter for expression in eukaryotic cells.
'It is futile to pretend to the public that we understand how an amoeba evolved into a man, when we cannot tell our students how a human egg produces a skin cell or a brain cell!'

Dr Jérôme J. Lejeune

Ammie
Garter
Garter

Post by Ammie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks!

But I already have T7, so what is the difference?

Ammie
Garter
Garter

Post by Ammie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

Hi. Thinking about this T7 and CMV promoter again...

I have both in my plasmid.

I have understand that T7 polymeras can be used for in vitro/cell-free trancription. Is that what it is used for?

And CMV promoter as I understood it is good because than you dont need to make a RNA transcript of your gene (in a plasmid) instead you can transfect the whole plasmid when you want to express it in cells.

I still do not really get it. Could anyone explain the differences of those promoters for me or at least give me a hint.

Duke
Garter
Garter

Post by Duke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:37 am

Ammie wrote:Hi. Thinking about this T7 and CMV promoter again...

I have both in my plasmid.

I have understand that T7 polymeras can be used for in vitro/cell-free trancription. Is that what it is used for?

And CMV promoter as I understood it is good because than you dont need to make a RNA transcript of your gene (in a plasmid) instead you can transfect the whole plasmid when you want to express it in cells.

I still do not really get it. Could anyone explain the differences of those promoters for me or at least give me a hint.

T7: Inducible promoter for bacterial expression (e.g. pET system), needs T7 polymerase which is not present in native E.coli but needs to be expressed under the control of a DE3 gene (can be or usually is controlled by the lac-operon)

CMV: constitutive promoter for mammalian expression

Do you have a shuttle vector for both bacterial and mammalian expression?

The CMV promoter on a cloning plasmid is not of any use unless you would like to use the palsmid directly for expression of the protein in mammalian cells.