alcoholic fermentation

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mjlubash
Garter
Garter

alcoholic fermentation

Post by mjlubash » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:40 am

i am working on a biology project and i am trying to figure out the importance of water in alcoholic fermentation. When we mix yeast, corn syrup and water together, what purpose does the water serve? Any ideas??? :?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:00 pm

water doesn't contribute directly in alcoholic fermentation, i can tell you that for sure. But it does count so that the solution has a nice osmotic pressure and your cells don't shrivlle because their environement is hypertonic..
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Jelanen
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Jelanen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:25 am

That and you can only get so much alcohol into the solution. At a particular point (a brewmaster knows this stuff) you just can't get a higher concentration of ethanol since it becomes toxic to the yeast.
'It is futile to pretend to the public that we understand how an amoeba evolved into a man, when we cannot tell our students how a human egg produces a skin cell or a brain cell!'

Dr Jérôme J. Lejeune