interbreeding gene pool

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

deli79
Garter
Garter

interbreeding gene pool

Post by deli79 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:27 am

Is the conceptof an interbreeding gene pool important to biology if evolution runs by natural selection? Why?

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:20 pm

This is either a badly-written question, or it relates directly to the wording of a particular source.

"Interbreeding gene pool" is a weird term. It implies breeding with an exterior pool, but I suspect it means that individuals within the group are breeding with each other (since a gene pool can't breed anyway), but is it trying to imply breeding among relatives? I suspect not.

I also suspect that it's looking for an answer framed around variation.

And the whole concept can't be too important, since the vast majority of organisms don't "interbreed" in pretty much any sense. There's too much sexual chauvinism out there!

deli79
Garter
Garter

Post by deli79 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:56 am

I didn't have my notebook the time I posted the question, so here it is:
"As evolution and speciation occurs by natural selection of the phenotype why is the theoretical concept of an interbreeding gene pool so important in biology?"

I couldn't find my instructor last week to clarify the question. I was (still am) kind'a stuck, and can't really find the concept of "interbreeding gene pool." :cry:

At first, my simple mind did shouted variation of species, but I was not sure how explain my answer since the terminology that he used messed me all up.

If he meant two different species interbreeding and producing a hybrid (polypliod),
I’m thinking the importance still comes down to new biological species.
(Even though infertile, they can still reproduce asexually)

What do you (or anyone) think?

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Yes that's very confusing terminology IMO.

inter- indicates that more than one entity (in this case gene-pools) are involved

but gene-pool is used in the singular, indicating that there is only one gene pool involved in the scenario.

Perhaps it is saying this:
"As evolution and speciation occur by natural selection of the phenotype, why is the theoretical concept of a gene-pool interbreeding with others so important in biology?"

That's the best I can do at making the question make sense.

If that truly is the question, then the key terms you need to learn/apply are gene-flow and biodiversity.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"