animal phylums!

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

donikatus
Garter
Garter

animal phylums!

Post by donikatus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:29 am

hi! does anyone have a helpful and clever way to remember the animalia phylums and what animals fit that description? because I'm having a really hard time remembering them and i have a test on this tomorrow! please and thank you!! :)

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 am

First of all you have to understand the Latin words meaning. For example:
- Porifera ---> porus = pore, ferre = to bear
- Coelenterta ---> koilos = hollow, enteron = intestine
- etc.

Then you can fit animals to their phylum ;)

Good luck!

Don't memorize Biology, try to understand it ;)

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 am

Dr.Stein wrote:Don't memorize Biology, try to understand it ;)

Brilliant think, Dr.Stein!!! Lecters here don't know about thinks such undestanding at the biology :(
I have remwembed almost all phylia only by undestandind - esspessially by strucrure comparatives and evolution - I have tried to understand this... I was not succisided but now I now almost all phylia - by it's genral characters.
donikatus - are yuo must remember phylia such Nematomorpha. Kinorincha or so? if yes, it is quate hard to remember this durind one day (and night 8) ) Try to look pictures, I don't know about yuo, but I remember from picture better that than from text.
Evolution will arrange everything

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 am

In old system, Nematomorpha is used to classified under Nemathelminthes, as both has a special characteristic in common as "nema" or "thread" but it seems that now taxonomists devided Nemathelminthes into Nematoda and Nematomorpha because there is something different, that' how Nematomorpha got its name. I am not into Systematics thus I dunno many things :oops:

About the second one, I think it must be spelled as "kinorhyncha" or? I am not sure about it but "rhyncha" means "snout", maybe it is a kind of worm with snout? I think there is a phylum for this worm, maybe Kinorhyncha is the phylum name :)

But, that's why I started to study Biology, trying to understand the meaning of important word (keyword), needs longer time but good for your future IF you decided to continue in Biology field ;)

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Depending upon how you learn (most biology people are visual), it might be useful to do a Google image search on each phylum.

If you have a picture in your head of members of each phylum, you might better remember their names and characteristics.

Locus
Coral
Coral

Post by Locus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Dr.Stein - yes it is must be Kinorhyncha (I have missed a half of letters and changed anothe half :) ), and this "worms" (by old sustems it is class of Nemathelminthes) have a structure like "snout".
Evolution will arrange everything

Beetle
Coral
Coral

Post by Beetle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:20 am

Darby wrote:Depending upon how you learn (most biology people are visual), it might be useful to do a Google image search on each phylum.

If you have a picture in your head of members of each phylum, you might better remember their names and characteristics.

So true. :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world" J. Hatfiled