Hi, i am new and intrested in Zoology all ideas appreciated

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Survivor Kid 909
Garter
Garter

Hi, i am new and intrested in Zoology all ideas appreciated

Post by Survivor Kid 909 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Hello, i have recently taken a great likeing to zoology. I am still in middle school so i have alot to learn but any advice to help me further my knoledge would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Survivor Kid 909 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:07 am

Zoology is a very interesting subject. Zoology is the biological discipline which involves the study of non-human animals.

The word zoology comes from Greek zoon ("animal"), and -logy ("the study of"), from word, speech.

There are several branches of Zoology.

Acarology: is the study of mites and ticks.

Arachnology: is the scientific study of spiders and related organisms such as scorpions, pseudoscorpions, harvestmen, collectively called arachnids.

Cetology: is the branch of marine mammal science that studies the approximately eighty species of whales, dolphins, and porpoise in the scientific order Cetacea.

Cryptozoology: is the search for animals that are rumored to exist, but for which conclusive proof is missing.

Entomology: is the scientific study of insects. Insects have many kinds of interactions with humans and other forms of life on earth, so it is an important specialty within zoology.

Ethology: is the scientific study of animal behavior considered as a branch of zoology.

Herpetology: is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of reptiles and amphibians.

And many more. So many thinks you can do with this subject. If you really love this subject.

Thank You

Dip Jyoti Chakraborty

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Hey

Post by Dr.Stein » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Survivor Kid 909 wrote:Hello, i have recently taken a great likeing to zoology. I am still in middle school so i have alot to learn but any advice to help me further my knoledge would be greatly appreciated.

Zoology is great. I graduated from Department of Zoology somewhere in 2000 ;)

Survivor Kid 909
Garter
Garter

Post by Survivor Kid 909 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:00 pm

I am intrested most in Ethology and Mamallogy (how ever you spell it) do you think that the NPS in the US would suplly a job to like study animals ???

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 am

What is NPS? :oops:

Well, don't think about job before you study it. Job will come when you are serious in your field. If you could not find job by then, you can create one based on your knowledge ;) Good luck! :D

dipjyoti
Coral
Coral

Post by dipjyoti » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 am

How would I say? I think NPS is National Park Service of America. Am I right? First enrich your knowledge in zoology then try for job.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Although the NPS does have some researchers on staff and, I believe, funds some outside researchers, there are many opportunities for field study beyond just them.

But you've got a lot of time between where you are now and where you'll be doing research - time to think of where you'll get your training.

WolverSyr
Garter
Garter

Post by WolverSyr » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:16 pm

The best advice I can give you, is to take as much math & science as possible while you're in school. It's going to help you out in the long-run when you're applying for & attending college. Most degree programs require a good foundation in Chemistry, biology, physics, and calculus or statistics.

Hopefully your high school offers college level math/chemistry, etc during your senior year - that helps out a lot. Many community colleges allow high school students to attend classes during the summer too.

Don't let all of that scare you off though. If you apply yourself & study you can get through those courses that don't seem to have anything to do with zoology. (You'll be suprised by how much they do apply though!)

As noted above, zoology is a huge field with tons & tons of different kinds of jobs & specialties. That's the great thing about a biology degree - you can do so much with it - from education to research, from writing articles or books, working on TV shows, at a zoo, etc. Some people use a zooology degree as a step towards Vet school also.

Laleh
Garter
Garter

Post by Laleh » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:32 am

The knowledge of Zoology is so abstruse.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:52 am

Nooo. Your statement is very subjective.

February Beetle
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by February Beetle » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:17 pm

It is so great that you like zoology! Take every opportunity you can to learn. You should concentrate hard on school because all of your math/science and even other subjects will help you more than you know now. Ethology is great because you don't have to limit yourself to one group. You don't want to limit yourself too early in your studies :) and the BEST thing you can do is hang out on this awesome forum! lol.
Also, talk to your science/biology teachers and I bet they would be excited that you are interested in zoology. Maybe more when you get to high school.

Man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. - Henry Benson

gumbita
Garter
Garter

Post by gumbita » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:42 pm

good for you! I got my degree in Zoology. The good thing is you have PLENTY of time to figure out what jobs are out there and pinpoint your exact interests. Are you more of a research type (do you like science fairs?) or more an observer and like handling animals? (you can be both - I however prefer the handling- I hate research :) But anyways, talk to you teachers, take as much biology as possible in high school, see if you can volunteer or participate in programs at your local zoo or animal clinic.