Experiments with S. aureus on Agar

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

saternet
Garter
Garter

Experiments with S. aureus on Agar

Post by saternet » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

I am conducting an experiment to grow Staphylococcus Aureus standard nutrient agar medium; I've incubated for THREE days and seen no growth (at 20 C). I am now incubating the same samples at around 32-37C and for about 14 hours, I am seeing no growth. The colour of my agar is slightly yellow. I swabbed agar with a standard q-tip and sterile qtip; should I stop the experiment??

Caspase
Garter
Garter

Post by Caspase » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:56 pm

Try 37 C anything less and you wont get good results. After 48 hrs you should have a considerable amount of colonies.

Are you using the correct nutrients in your agar?

saternet
Garter
Garter

Post by saternet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 am

Alright then thanks; I am incubating the same dishes at 37 C and I will do it for 48 hours

I am using nutrient agar with beef extract and yeast; just the standard one I mixed in the lab.

Its been about 8 hours since I wrote the last post so I am 22 hours into my incubation. I am also seeing that there is a load of condensation on the petri lids, water is just sloshing around.

saternet
Garter
Garter

Post by saternet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:35 pm

your advice helped a lot. I am spotting some colonies within the first 35 hrs. thanks!