Uni-cellular and Multi-cellular Energy Metabolism?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Devsters
Garter
Garter

Uni-cellular and Multi-cellular Energy Metabolism?

Post by Devsters » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:36 pm

I'm utterly and completely stuck on a question for a homework assignment my evil Bio teacher assigned me. >>; It asks...

"Please compare uni-cellular energy metabolism and multi-cellular energy metabolism. Identify the organelles involved in multi-cellular energy metabolism."

GAH. Any help would be very, very appreciated! -.^

Caio!

MIMI
Garter
Garter

Post by MIMI » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:30 am

I'm not sure if i can help but it always helps to work from first principles- break down the question. I'm sure you know what energy means and metabolism refers to all the physiological proceses in an organism's body. So, what you simply have to do is consider the energy needs of unicellular organisms and compare them to the energy needs of multicellular organisms.The complexity of multicellular organisms demands far much more energy( eg. transmission of nerve impulse in humans, for homeostatic mechanisms like thermoregulation,and tissue repair).I hope i put you on the right track....