Question on Turners syndrome

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

samar
Garter
Garter

Question on Turners syndrome

Post by samar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Hello,

its my first day over here... :)

i just wana ask a question on turner sydrome.In turner syndrom X chromosome is missing..so i want to know X is missingfrom Male or Female? i hope u will help me out.

Regards,
samar..

Cat
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Cat » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Female only.

snowcapk
Garter
Garter

Re: Question on Turners syndrome

Post by snowcapk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:01 pm

samar wrote:i just wana ask a question on turner sydrome.In turner syndrom X chromosome is missing..so i want to know X is missingfrom Male or Female? i hope u will help me out.

Samar,
I think the poster above is saying that only a female can have Turner syndrome. (A male embryo with no X chromosomes in unviable.) I can't tell, but maybe you are asking, "Which gamete (maternal or paternal) fails to provide the X chromosome?" Either gamete can be "responsible": if the egg contains no X chromosome, or if the sperm contains no sex chromosome, the resulting zygote will have Turner syndrome. According to the literature (original reference not identified due to laziness), about 60-80% of Turner syndrome patients have only a maternal X chromsome. The parental origin of the zygote's X chromosome will determine the phenotype of the disease, probably due to differences in imprinting of genes on the X chromosome.

samar
Garter
Garter

Post by samar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanx for your all replies..it really helped me out.thanks once again...

Ultrashogun
Coral
Coral

Post by Ultrashogun » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Think of it this way: The phenotype "Being a dude" is Y-linked dominant, so what would somebody with the genotype X0 be?