Teaching goldfish to eat by sound.

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

shayna
Garter
Garter

Teaching goldfish to eat by sound.

Post by shayna » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:04 am

I am helping my daughter with a project to see if goldfish can be taught to eat by sound. We thought we could do it by playing music before feeding the fish for 7 days then play the music without feeding and see if they go to the feeding ring we have used. Is this a good method? is there a better way? How could she report the results in graph form?
Thanks for any help.

pankaaj
Death Adder
Death Adder

Good

Post by pankaaj » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Good experiment Shyana.
If it is working the graph can be like Frequency of responces Vs. time of ring or Responce Vs. simulus.
Assign 1 & 0 for yes & no like digital things it might work!
See & send me the graph.
Take it with a pintch of salt!

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:34 pm

If you want to do this right, you need a control.

Ideally this would be a group of fish in similar conditions, except no music. Maybe goldfish in another, similar room. Fed the same way, observed the same way, with just the presence or absence of music different (or as much as can be kept the same in a home).

Are you entering the room to turn on the music? You'd need to do that with controls as well. How are you making sure that the fish aren't using visual or vibrational (from a person walking nearby) cues, rather than the music?

I know it seems I'm being a little insane, but it's these little touches, I believe, that really teach kids how research works, gets them thinking like scientists.

Samuopekka
Garter
Garter

Post by Samuopekka » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:39 am

maybe... :)
Samuopekka is here