Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

arno
Garter
Garter

energy efficiëncy examples

Post by arno » Mon May 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Hello,

Last winter we visited a few zoo's to make thermograms, images with an infrared-camera which registrate the temperature of the skin-surface. The idea was to learn a little about the energy-efficiëncy tools of mother nature. I'm not a biologist so I can't explain the images in a zoological way. A lot of animals have a very interesting energy-story to tell (e.g.: elephant ears, waterbird feet, zebra stripes, butterfly-wings). If you know any of these stories like: animal....uses his..... to warm up or cool down I'd realy like to know. Why does the polar bear have a colder nose than the brown bear? Why are the "ears" of an ostrich colder than the rest of his head? What insulation techiques are used by animals, questions like that.

You can find a lot of animal-thermograms on http://www.nutscode.com.

Greatings,

Arno
Attachments
bok.jpg
Horns also play an important roll in staying comfortable, e.g. Watoesie cows use them to cool down.
bok.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
giraf.jpg
The patterns are very clear, what's the use in an zoological way?
giraf.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

flint
Garter
Garter

Post by flint » Tue May 09, 2006 1:02 am

Rabbits and donkey ears are used for thermoregulation. Brood patches on birds are used to convey heat from the parent to the egg. Bird legs also play an important part in keeping the internal temperature constant. After I read your post about zebras I started thinking about every mammal with stripes and spots. I think it would be interesting to take some infrared pictures of animals that live in shallow water versus animals that live in deep water just to see how they contrast.

arno
Garter
Garter

Post by arno » Tue May 09, 2006 8:05 am

Thanks for your resond, this thermoregulation is very interesting, I'll check my dataase for more rabbits and donkeys. Making thermoimages through water or glass is not possible. Take normal RGB-images and put them into gray-scale, this will give you a first impression, a lot quicker too. What are "brood patches"?

Greatings,

Arno