Stuck dessicator lid

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderator: BioTeam

megan28
Garter
Garter

Stuck dessicator lid

Post by megan28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 am

I am trying to get into our dessicator to retrieve a sample but the lid is stuck badly. I don't think its been open for years! Any hints for how to get it open?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Force, patience and anger... I sympathize. Probably heating the sides where the 2 parts meet might help make the grease a bit more fluid and help sliding the thing apart, but I am not sure if it will work.
Having had a fight a few years ago with a nasty dessicator (two people were needed for convincing, and we were thinking of using a hammer at that point) I would be interested if anyone had a foolproof way to deal with those... Good luck
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

harr0028
Garter
Garter

Re: Stuck dessicator lid

Post by harr0028 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I have used a heat gun and a lot of patience. After 10-15 minutes, the lid slides right off.

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Post by jonmoulton » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:47 pm

You might try dripping a bit of machine oil into the seam so it can penetrate the grease. Having some shorter hydrocarbons diffused into the grease should loosen its grip. Let it penetrate for a few hours, the diffusion likely won't be fast though the grease. Hexane would be a reasonable alternative to machine oil.

DocWillow
Garter
Garter

Post by DocWillow » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 pm

jonmoulton wrote:You might try dripping a bit of machine oil into the seam so it can penetrate the grease. Having some shorter hydrocarbons diffused into the grease should loosen its grip. Let it penetrate for a few hours, the diffusion likely won't be fast though the grease. Hexane would be a reasonable alternative to machine oil.

this is such a great advice ! thank you so much for sharing....