Is an effective vaccine against TB is possible?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

josem
Garter
Garter

Is an effective vaccine against TB is possible?

Post by josem » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:42 pm

According to various reports BCG vaccine used for TB is not fully effective. Latent-dormant TB confers only some protection against reinfection, in which person’s immune system exposed to the full set of antigens of the pathogenic strain of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, but will not offer full protection. If this factor take into consideration development of effective vaccine against might be difficult.
www.scientialmatters.wordpress.com

josem
Garter
Garter

Post by josem » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:42 pm

Dear scientist, Jack Bean I need your response.

Frattoe
Garter
Garter

Post by Frattoe » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:01 am

The problem concerning TB is that bacteria resist to the cellular killing. So the damages concerning lung tissue could be surely reduced by a previous selection of th1 cd4 clones responsive to MT antigens, but even that way the vaccine hasn't the possibility to totally avoid inflammation and following damages in lungs, at least in my opinion. The efficiency of the vaccine should consist of the tempestive elimination of microbic load before they can cause extended granulomas and exacerbate the lesions, and for what I read this is something possible, not so much diffused because of the lower incidence of TB along last decades. Sorry for possible mistakes, it is only my opinion.

Vmedvil
Garter
Garter

Post by Vmedvil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Well, if you were making a TB vaccine, I would suggest Genetically modifying Bacteriophages attachment proteins that rather than attach to E. coli or whatever its original target is to bind to the proteins on the surface of the TB bacteria, that would fully kill the infection if that is the problem with the current vaccine. I would suggest looking into the Antigen's or Antibody's attachment structure to give clues into how to change the Bacteriophage's attachment protein to attack the TB bacteria's receptor sites. So, yes it would be possible but very difficult, just like how they modified HIV's Glycoproteins to only attack Leukemia Cancer cells rather than T-Cells. The concept is the same.
Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded.
-26 Dimensional Quadratic Super String Theory

josem
Garter
Garter

Re: Is an effective vaccine against TB is possible?

Post by josem » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 am

Thank you very much for Mr. Frattoe for providing valuable information. The Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an intracellular pathogen and it forms granulomas. So it evades our immune system during dormant state. Antibody titer decreases after few weeks or months after infection. Immunological memory also lost after some years. So Latent-dormant TB does not confer full protection for reinfection.

rahilsaxena
Garter
Garter

Re: Is an effective vaccine against TB is possible?

Post by rahilsaxena » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:28 pm

The only licensed vaccine against TB, Bacillle Calmette-Guerin (BCG), is effective at preventing disseminated disease in infants.
Clinical Research