Recommendations for Bacteria Detection?

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lodestone25
Garter
Garter

Recommendations for Bacteria Detection?

Post by lodestone25 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi all, I apologize if this is a dumb question-I'm quite new to the biology field and to be honest at this point I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right things. I am wondering what the best way to do a field test on, say, a lake or puddle, to check the number of bacteria present in the water. I'm not as interested in particular species as I am in obtaining some idea of "bacteria density" or parts per gram. I'm not sure if it matters, but the water may be contaminated with fertilizer, soaps, etc... Is there some kind of quick test that can help me out with that? Or is the best way to get some sort of field microscope and put a sample on a glass slide? Thank you very much for your expertise!

Lodestone

Cat
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Cat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:29 pm

I doubt very much that you can do it in the field. I think you need to culture and do colony counts the old fashioned way...

josem
Garter
Garter

Post by josem » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 pm

I think you can use a hemocytometer to count the total bacteria present in the water. But it is
difficult to count the motile bacteria in hemocytometer. I suggest to use a disinfectant to kill the bacteria before counting.I think you can also use a stain for seeing the bacteria in the microscope.
www.scientialmatters.wordpress.com

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:34 am

Well, the standard way is to filter the water and keep the filter on some growth medium to see how many colonies will form. However, not every growth medium will suit every bacteria and some bacteria are unculturable in general. More precise way is to do 16S RNA sequencing, but I'm not sure if that tells also the amount of bacteria or only the species.
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

SpellForce
Garter
Garter

Post by SpellForce » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:12 pm

If you blow your nose and do a culture, would the grown bacteria be 100% bad, or there would be also some good bacteria? :)

Steven2015
Garter
Garter

Re: Recommendations for Bacteria Detection?

Post by Steven2015 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:26 am

There are many bacteria detection kits available on the market. Using kits will help you save a lot of works.

Fornita
Garter
Garter

Post by Fornita » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 am

This service could also help you with your question.
http://www.creativebiomart.net/Microbio ... ervice.htm
Andrea Fortina
Genius only means hard-working all one's life.
CreativeBiomart, Recombinant protein expert

josem
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by josem » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

josem wrote:
Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 pm
I think you can use a hemocytometer to count the total bacteria present in the water. But it is
difficult to count the motile bacteria in the hemocytometer. I suggest using a disinfectant to kill the bacteria before counting.I think you can also use a stain for seeing the bacteria under the microscope.

The immunofluorescence could be used in this method, in which a fluorochrome dye is linked to antibodies raised against a common outer cell wall epitopes of the prokaryotic domain. A measured volume of sample water is filtered and the resulting cells are resuspended and treated with the antibody linked dye and wash. It is then resuspended in the required volume of water, smear in an ordinary glass slide, heat fix or air dry and count the cell number. Hemocytometer is not required, actually. But it gives only approximate count because aggregated bacteria cannot be differentiated. I think agitation before staining would separate the aggregated cells.

josem
Garter
Garter

Re: Re:

Post by josem » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:51 am

josem wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm
josem wrote:
Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 pm
difficult to count the motile bacteria in the hemocytometer. I suggest using a disinfectant to kill the bacteria before counting.I think you can also use a stain for seeing the bacteria under the microscope.

The immunofluorescence could be used in this method, in which a fluorochrome dye is linked to antibodies raised against a common outer cell wall epitopes of the prokaryotic domain. A measured volume of sample water is spun and the resulting cells are resuspended and treated with the antibody linked dye and wash. It is then resuspended in the required volume of water, smear in an ordinary glass slide, heat fix or air dry and count the cell number. Hemocytometer is not required, actually. But it gives only approximate count because aggregated bacteria cannot be differentiated. I think agitation before staining would separate the aggregated cells.