How to determine gene type

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ultimatex
Garter
Garter

How to determine gene type

Post by Ultimatex » Mon May 29, 2006 10:55 pm

I have a question that I have been trying to figure out for a while, but I just can't seem to come up with an answer. How can you determine whether a black guinea pig (Black fur is a dominant gene in a guinea pig) has two dominant genes (BB) or one dominant and one recessive gene (Bb)? I don't think the answer is simply look at what its parents colors are either.

GreenDog
Coral
Coral

Post by GreenDog » Tue May 30, 2006 4:49 pm

Cross it with a white guinea pig (bb). If your animal is homozygous al the progeny will be black, otherwise 50% black, 50% white.
"When In Danger Or In Doubt Run In Circles Scream And Shout"
Lawrence J. Peter

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue May 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Green dog's way is a correct way to figure it out !

However, if you know the parents genotype... you may be able to deduce the genotype of the progeny (this would also require you to know the phenotype of your guinea pig and her siblings).

Another way would be to use molecular techniques to determine the genotype. This could include, PCR, Restriction enzyme digest or gene sequencing.

biogirl4
Garter
Garter

Post by biogirl4 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:14 pm

i would think that the easiest wat to find the phenotypes or genotypes would be to do it the way that greendog suggested...but then that is really the only way i know how because that's how i was taught in bio class last year