Complementation Test

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Agronomy
Garter
Garter

Complementation Test

Post by Agronomy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:55 am

In the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, a large number of recessive mutations have been identified which reduce the size of the wings; vg(A) and vg(B) are two of them. These two mutant strains express an identical phenotype. Design an experiment to investigate if these two short-winged strains arise from mutations in the same or different genes.

I'm not really sure what to do, I know we would have to do a complementation test, and if they were on the same gene they'd be on the same allele, but I'm not really sure. Would someone be able to help me please?

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:13 am

so the question is asking if a defect in one of the genes is causing the phenotype....or if another gene upstream of vg(a) or vg(b) is causing the phenotype .. or a completely independant gene is causing the phenotype

I'm not sure how to help you answer this question... without giving you the answer.

But complementation test generally involve re-introduction of WT genes into a mutant animal in a genetic screen-type scenario.

Let me know if you need more help... i'm just trying to give you a hint!
- kim

Agronomy
Garter
Garter

Post by Agronomy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:27 am

i'm still kind of confused, you can just give me the answer. I just need an explaination, i don't even really understand complementation testing :?