Diploid

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MIA6
Garter
Garter

Diploid

Post by MIA6 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 pm

The Diploid number (2n) of chromosomes is restored during ______ (1) fusion of gametes, (2) mitosis. This question actually has four choices, but i just gave you two possible answers here. My teacher said the answer was (1), but i thought (2) could work, too. because it's from 2n to 2n. But if the answer was (1), it may be the word 'restored'? it means like bring back to the original one, so it's (1)? Please help me, thanks.

LilKim
Coral
Coral

Post by LilKim » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Yeah I think the word "restored" is the keyword... for answering (1) if the keyword was "remains" then (2) mitosis would work.

but (1) is the better/correct answer

gumbita
Garter
Garter

Post by gumbita » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 pm

(1) really is the only answer. In mitosis, you start out with a 2N cell and you end up with identical 2N cells - nothing is "restored" - restoring something implies that it changed from the original and was brought back to the original condition. This doesn't happen in mitosis. But when gametes are formed (let's use sperm as an example) the cell in the testis starts out as a 2N cell and it is divided into 4 1N cells. A similar process of reduction happens in the egg. So when the egg (1N) combines with the sperm (1N), it creates a diploid (2N) zygote, so in this case the diploid condition is truly "restored".