Could 'Spontaneous Necrosis' partly explain aging?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

IJustHadThisOneQ
Garter
Garter

Could 'Spontaneous Necrosis' partly explain aging?

Post by IJustHadThisOneQ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm

With a risk of sounding ignorant and uneducated I have a question whether a cell/cell-cluster can accidentally kills itself:
Statement:
1. "Many things in a cell can break which hinders a successful apoptosis (both indirectly and directly)."
2. "It's not easy for the body to get rid of cells that has gone through with necrosis."
3. "A human tissue/organ is less likely to function correctly with higher concentrations of dead and damaged cells"

Following statements 1, 2 and 3, then 'spontaneous necrosis' could at least partially explain both ageing and why we die from it.

The problem is that I can't find any scientific articles on this topic (with exceptions from this being observed in cancer cells).

I also made some harsh estimation of the frequency of 'spontaneous necrosis' that would be deadly during a life time.
I got approximately 1 cell in a million per day. Which could explain why no one has observed this phenomenon.

I am not an expert here, but I don't think the question is that bad. I would much appreciate any input on this.
/ yours sincerely Timmy Forsberg

claudepa
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: Could 'Spontaneous Necrosis' partly explain aging?

Post by claudepa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

I have no special competence in aging. Only a general idea that it is a multifactorial phenomenom: mutations, oxygen, hayflick law...

For the necrotic cells I suppose they are destroyed by macrophages. But aged macrophages also could be less efficient.

IJustHadThisOneQ
Garter
Garter

Post by IJustHadThisOneQ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Claudepa.
I'm aware it's a multifactorial situation, as biology usually is, a wicked system (both complex and complicated). But we should at the same time recognise that we don't know what causes ageing, and none of the phenomenons observed seems to convincingly and completely explain this topic. This seems to me as a good motive for exploration of new ideas or at least basic research.

It's true that macrophages takes care of dead cells (both aptotic and necrotic). However macrophages are less efficient in handling necrotic cells as is expected. Meaning it doesn't do a perfect job.
Now imagine that a nectrotic cell somehow spills all it's contents into the surrounding tissue, now the macrophages are going to be even less efficient in cleaning up the mess.
Again, I can't find nearly enough research on this topic, and with my limited knowledge it would do me great pleasure to see someone answering the original question. (Thanks againg for your reply Claudepa, but I think there's more to it.)