Hypothetical question about vampires

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

eugene2k
Garter
Garter

Hypothetical question about vampires

Post by eugene2k » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Vampires are a very popular hollywood myth and a lot of paranormal romance books describe them in one way or another. And of course there are a lot of different descriptions about humans transforming into vampires. Eye color changes (vampires even get glowing eyes), they gain weaknesses such as burning in the sun and super-abilities such as superspeed and superstrength. But while all of the above can be more or less explained by a viral infection (as it usually is when the book or movie is trying to explain the existence of a vampire through science) the one thing that in my opinion is hard to explain is the existence of vampire fangs. Obviously, humans only develop two sets of teeth throughout their lifetimes, and teeth can't change their size or shape, unless you somehow expose the odontoblasts that are hidden by dentin and tooth enamel. As such I can only think of one way for a vampire to develop fangs and it seems kind of messy to me: the environment in the mouth would have to temporarily become acidic so that enamel and dentin could be dissolved (which would dissolve all of the subject's teeth and not just the fangs) and then the environment would return to normal and odontoblasts would be able to build new teeth. Couple that with a change in the DNA of odontoblasts and the new teeth would become fangs.

Now, my knowledge in the field of biology is about highschool level, so if I'm missing something please point it out gently (and whatever you do, don't hit the face) and if there is any other way, I would be grateful if you could share it with me.

wildfunguy
Coral
Coral

Post by wildfunguy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm

How about there's just accelerated tooth growth, and this forces the vampire to file down his teeth himself. They sharpen them either because they want to avoid the nerve endings deep within the tooth, or because it's convenient for blood sucking, or both.

jiturul
Garter
Garter

Post by jiturul » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am

How about there's just multiple tooth development, and this causes the creature of the night to computer file down his tooth himself. They improve them either because they want to avoid the sensors being strong within the tooth, or because it's practical for blood slurping.
resumeservicereviews.blogspot.com

mypslgate
Garter
Garter

Re: Hypothetical question about vampires

Post by mypslgate » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 pm

IAM AGREED WITH THIS As such I can only think of one way for a vampire to develop fangs and it seems kind of messy to me: the environment in the mouth would have to temporarily become acidic so that enamel and dentin could be dissolved (which would dissolve all of the subject's teeth and not just the fangs) and then the environment would return to normal and odontoblasts would be able to build new teeth. Couple that with a change in the DNA of odontoblasts and the new teeth would become fangs.

bestazy
Garter
Garter

Post by bestazy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:02 am

It would physically make one sick.In spite of being a vampire,they are still human.Humans cannot tolerate large quantities of blood at one time.Granted,there are cultures across the world who consume blood..The Inuit,Maasai and other peoples.There is also blood sausage and blood soup etc..Much of those are prepared in some manner,mixed with milk while being straight out of a wound in the neck.Blood sausage is cooked until it is congealed.
But yes,to drink that amount of blood at once would make someone pretty nauseated,considering it is a purgative of sorts.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow."All the best.

Crypto
Garter
Garter

Post by Crypto » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Intresting!