Assessment: Technology and the origin of life

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bekarzi
Garter
Garter

Assessment: Technology and the origin of life

Post by bekarzi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:16 am

Here is my task description: "Identify the changes in technology that have assisted in the development of an increased understanding of the origin of life and evolution of living things"
It must be in the form of a poster.

So I have plotted out some topics to cover: Space travel (bacteria was taken to the moon by accident and survived for some time), microscope developments, technology that allows the viewing of embryos (similarities between different species at early stages of development), deep sea technologies (again, bacteria), infrared technology, and aircraft technology -- all linked back to their influence on our understanding of the origin of life of course.

If anyone could:
~Suggest another topic/area to cover
~Give me any terminology I may not be aware of (I'm studying preliminary [year 11] biology but I love complex words haha)
~Give me an extra push into a particular point of anything I mentioned

Or anything else you may have to offer, that would be great :) thank you!
"Theres a place I go, when I'm alone, do anything I want, be anyone I want to be..." Dream Catch Me

Nad
Garter
Garter

Post by Nad » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:02 pm

space travel didnt contributed too much to the understanding of "origin of life and evolution..."

neither did aircraft tech, or deep sea tech

What about X-ray crystallography ? I mention it because the role it had (among other things) in discovery of the DNA structure. The famous photo 51 by Franklin & Wilkins.

I hardly can imagine a more important moment than the discovery of DNA structure in
1953 by Watson and Crick. This discovery was the one which started it all, made molecular biology possible, the key to the 'secret' of life.

"It has not escaped our attention that the specific pairing we have postulated immediately suggests a possible copying mechanism for the genetic material"

This phrase at the end of their initial paper says it all. So elegant !

bekarzi
Garter
Garter

Re: Assessment: Technology and the origin of life

Post by bekarzi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 am

Thanks for that, its much appreciated :mrgreen:
The Space, Sea, etc is linked in certain circumstances - as detailed in the text books I have been studying, so I think its okay to use :roll: but it doesnt have a mountain of information...

Thank you!
"Theres a place I go, when I'm alone, do anything I want, be anyone I want to be..." Dream Catch Me

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Are you familiar at all with the RNA hypothesis? Basically, a lot of biologists believe that RNA developed before DNA. RNA has been shown to be capable of carrying out all the necessary functions of DNA, RNA, and proteins, which is why many researchers believe it may have been the first "lifeform."

I would suggest reading up on this, but if you wanted to focus specifically on human technology, I would say that no technology has expanded our knowledge of life's origins more than microscopy. Perhaps you could talk about the history of the microscope? That's more than enough ground to cover in one poster right there.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:16 pm

RNA-based life might have been the first life-form, but most scientists agree than an RNA-like polymer came before RNA. Click here
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:22 am

Interesting; I wasn't aware of this research. Has anyone been able to discover if such polymers might have formed naturally?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

bekarzi
Garter
Garter

Re: Assessment: Technology and the origin of life

Post by bekarzi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 am

Thank you :) I'll definitely look into that

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:51 pm

well, all of them can form naturally. The Stanly-Miller and similar experiments proved that.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

bekarzi
Garter
Garter

Post by bekarzi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 am

"stanly-miller"?
I thought it was urey and miller....o_0...?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 am

yea, sorry... It was designed by Stanley Miller and Harold Urey. I was sleepy last night

bekarzi
Garter
Garter

Post by bekarzi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:59 am

Ha thats okay =] thanks for your help