How to know which primer/s work?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

magicsiew
Coral
Coral

How to know which primer/s work?

Post by magicsiew » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi, I have designed 4 pairs of degenerate primers to amplify a gene for cloning purpose. The primers are just trial and error as they are designed based on related organism. I have ordered the primers but not yet gotten and testing it. What I want to to ask is, how will the gel picture looks like if only forward primer get to target and start to amplify the gene, while reverse primer fail to do so, and vice versa? Let say, if my set 1 forward primer works, and set 3 reverse primer works, other all doesnt work, how is the gel pic will look like?

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 pm

If only one primer works, the amplification will not be exponential and the total amount of DNA synthesized will be too small to be detected. So in short, your gel will look empty. Only solution in this case is to try PCRs with all the possible combination of primer pairs that might yield a result.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:37 pm

well, it won't be really empty, but there will be only smear, because the amplified pieces of DNA
1) will be in low amount
2) will be of different length
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

magicsiew
Coral
Coral

Post by magicsiew » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks you guys for the information.