Operon info

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ss_kalve
Garter
Garter

Operon info

Post by ss_kalve » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Dear,
i've one operon information which is present in one system i.e. Ecoli and Sachharomyces and i would like to know if this operon is present in another system i.e. a fern or not,is this possible?bcoz i dont know the sequence of fern, its not reported till now.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 am

operon? Only bacteria have those... I think you have a problem with the English translation.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

gforce32
Garter
Garter

Re: Operon info

Post by gforce32 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 pm

An operon is generally common in prokaryotes (the bacteria) and less common, although existent, in eukaryotes (fern). Since you don't have the sequence, you can't tell for sure. But generally speaking, those are very different organisms and it is highly unlikely that the fern would have the same operon. Ferns will have toatally different metabolic processes than the bacteria. Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes differ in the DNA sequence and the amounts of GC content, etc.

If it was another bacteria that you were comparing it to, then chances are likely that the operon exists because of HGT (Horizontal gene transfer) between bacteria. But you're talking about a fern, so its highly unlikely. Hope this helps.

ss_kalve
Garter
Garter

Re: Operon info

Post by ss_kalve » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:31 am

Dear,
you are correct that prokaryotes and eukaryotes having different mechanism but as far reported saccharomyces cerevisiae having similarity with plant systen and this Ars operon is reported in saccharomyces cerevisiae also. so there are chances of getting this operon in fern i.e. plant system. so if i want to know the presence how can i proceed?

ss_kalve
Garter
Garter

Post by ss_kalve » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 am

and one important thing saccharomyces cerevisiae is also an eukaryotes.so it shoul have similarity with fern.