- The MPI Bioinformatics Toolkit for protein sequence analysis
The primary aim in developing the MPI Bioinformatics Toolkitwas to offer a web service that is as easy to use as possibleand that integrates a selected set of most useful methods forthe analysis of protein sequences. From our own experience asusers of the toolkit, its main advantages are as follows:
- In-housetools: Several programs developed in our group areavailableonly through our toolkit, e.g. HHpred (5), HHrep (6),HHsenser(7), REPPER (8), CLANS (9) and Blammer (10) (see Table 1).
- Enhancedfunctionality of public tools: Many tools offer additionalfunctionalitycompared with the original public server (seetool descriptionsbelow).
- User databases: Users may upload customized databaseswhichare then accessible throughout the whole toolkit (uploadonce,use many times).
- Interconnectivity: Most of the toolsin the Toolkit are interconnected,allowing job results of onetool to be forwarded as input toothers.
- Streamlined, uniformuser interface: Input forms are kept assimple and self-explanatoryas possible with a uniform designand logic for all tools.
- Straightforwardnavigation: Tools are grouped into color-codedsections thatare easily accessible via tabs.
- Job management: A dedicatedjobs sidebar provides informationand quick access to all jobresults of the current session.
- Personal work space: Usersmay register and log in to gain accessto a personal work spacefeaturing long-term storage of jobs.
rating: 4.00 from 2 votes | updated on: 28 Oct 2008 | views: 14084 |