1. Specker BL, Tsang RC, Ho ML. Changes in calcium homeostasis over the first year postpartum: Effect of lactation and weaning. Obstet Gynecol 1991;78:56–62.
2. Hayslip CC, Klein TA, Wray HL, Duncan WE. The effect of lactation on bone mineral content in healthy postpartum women. Obstet Gynecol 1989;73:588–92.
3. Kalkwarf HJ, Specker BL. Bone mineral loss during lactation and recovery after weaning. Obstet Gynecol 1995;86:26–32.
4. Atkinson PJ, West RR. Loss of skeletal calcium in lactating women. J Obstet Gynaecol Br Comm 1970;77:555–60.
5. Lamke B, Brundin J, Moberg P. Changes of bone mineral content during pregnancy and lactation. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1977; 56:217–9.
6. Chan GM, Slater P, Ronald M, Roberts CC, Thomas HR, Folland D, et al. Bone mineral status of lactating mothers of different ages. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1982;144:438–41.
7. Frisancho AR, Garn SM, Ascoli W. Unaltered cortical area of pregnant and lactating women. Studies of the second metacarpal bone in North and Central American populations. Invest Radiol 1971;6:119–21.
8. Cann CE, Martin MC, Genant HK, Jaffe RB. Decreased spinal mineral content in amenorrheic women. JAMA 1984;251:626–9.
9. Johansen JS, Riis BJ, Hassager C, Moen M, Jacobson J, Christiansen C. The effect of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist analog (nafarelin) on bone metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1988;67: 701–6.
10. Schlenker RA. Percentages of cortical and trabecular bone mineral mass in the radius and ulna. Am J Roentgenol 1976;126:1309–12.
11. Cumming RG, Klineberg RJ. Breastfeeding and other reproductive factors and the risk of hip fractures in elderly women. Int J Epidemiol 1993;22:684–91.
12. Aloia JF, Cohn SH, Vaswani A, Yeh JK, Yuen K, Ellis K. Risk factors for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Am J Med 1985;78:95–100.
13. Wardlaw GM, Pike AM. The effect of lactation on peak adult shaft on ultradistal forearm bone mass in women. Am J Clin Nutr 1986;44:283–6.
14. Sowers MF, Hollis BW, Shapiro B, Randolph J, Janney CA, Zhang D, et al. Elevated parathyroid hormone-related peptide associated with lactation and bone density loss. JAMA 1996;276:549–54.
15. Prentice A. Calcium supplementation during breast-feeding. N Engl J Med 1997;337:558–9.
16. Kalkwarf HJ, Specker BL, Bianchi DC, Ranz J, Ho M. The effect of calcium supplementation on bone density during lactation and after weaning. N Engl J Med 1997;337:523–8.