Participants' attitudes and practices about lead exposure in Ibadan, Nigeria 2004
|Have you ever tested the lead level in your domestic environment? If yes why did you do the test?
|What are the reasons you might do a lead level test?
||• If is going to be beneficial
• To be educated about lead
• I do not want to be at risk
|• For financial benefit
|What are the reasons you might not allow a lead level test to be carried out in your environment?
||• Because lead is dangerous
• Because I think it will be harmful
|• For security reasons
|What impact do you think lead or lead poisoning have on health?
||• We do not know
• It causes abdominal pain
|• It makes people pale
• It shortens life
• It affects any body organ
• It affects breathing
• It affects intelligence
• It affects productivity
|How can we reduce the risks of lead exposure?
||• NAFDAC (monitoring body for food and drug production in Nigeria) should monitor lead in the production processes
• Nothing can be done about it
|• By enlightenment through research and information
• Through public awareness
• Throw away all used batteries
• Painters should cover their nostrils when painting
• Government should sponsor and encourage lead research
• Government should ban importation on used vehicles